St Peter's Basilica

St Peter’s Basilica plans digital overhaul for 400th anniversary

Culture News

St Peter’s Basilica will mark the 400th anniversary of its dedication this November with new digital tools, expanded visitor services and a bespoke typeface inspired by Michelangelo’s handwriting. The Vatican unveiled the plans on Monday ahead of the anniversary celebrations scheduled for 18th November.

The programme includes new mobile apps for booking access and following major liturgical celebrations, alongside services aimed at managing visitor flows more effectively. Vatican officials said the changes reflect the scale of modern pilgrimages to the world’s largest church, which was dedicated in 1626 after more than a century of construction.

Pilgrims and visitors will also see practical changes on site. Refreshment facilities on the basilica’s terrace will be expanded, and new guided routes will allow access to areas previously closed to the public. Organisers said the aim is to improve the visitor experience while preserving the basilica’s spiritual character.

A new font (typeface not for baptisms!)

One of the most symbolic innovations is the introduction of a new typeface, Michelangelus, created through detailed study of Michelangelo Buonarroti’s handwritten texts. The font will be used across anniversary materials and selected communications. Cardinal Mauro Gambetti, archpriest of St Peter’s Basilica, said the project links the basilica’s artistic heritage with contemporary design.

Alongside liturgical and cultural events, the Vatican also presented “Beyond the Visible”, a long-term conservation and monitoring initiative developed with Italian energy group Eni. The project uses advanced digital technologies to study the structure and environment of the basilica, supporting both preservation and research.

Gambetti said the initiative would also enhance public engagement. Cutting-edge tools, he said, will allow visitors “from all over the world” to learn about the basilica and interact with its digital ecosystem, blending physical and virtual access to the site.

Security was also addressed during the press conference, following recent incidents involving inappropriate behaviour by visitors inside the church. Gambetti said controls would be tightened to prevent “copycat” episodes, stressing the need to protect the dignity of the basilica as both a place of worship and a global cultural landmark.

Leave a Reply