The record 36-time Italian champions, Juventus, fall from third to 10th place as a result of the points penalty. This means they could miss out on European football’s next season.
Juventus has been hit with a massive 15-point penalty for false accounting following an appeal hearing at the Italian football federation.
Juventus were accused of using capital gains from a series of player exchanges in which little or no money passed between clubs.
The club denied wrongdoing and was initially cleared by the sports court in April last year. However, the federation collected papers from the Turin prosecutors from a separate criminal investigation into Juventus’s finances and made an appeal.
Juventus were in third, ten points behind leaders Napoli. The penalty announced on Friday pushes them down into 10th. This could rule out the club from playing in Europe next season.
Deals and secret payments
One widely cited deal between Juventus and Barcelona saw Miralem Pjanic move to Catalonia and Arthur Melo go the other way in 2020.
In addition, Turin prosecutors have also apparently discovered more alleged secret payments to former player Cristiano Ronaldo that were not reported by the club.
Furthermore, the court imposed bans on 11 past and present Juventus directors from holding office in Italian football.
Among them were Andrea Agnelli, who was replaced by Gianluca Ferrero this week as chairman after formally stepping down in November, his ban was for 24 months. Former sports director, Fabio Paratici, now managing director of football at England’s Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur received a 30 month ban.
Juventus will know after a preliminary hearing in March if they and the former members of the club’s board will stand criminal trial over alleged false accounting.
The club is controlled by the Agnelli family’s Exor holding company and its shares are listed on the Milan stock exchange.
Juventus deny wrongdoing
Juventus denied wrongdoing and said its accounting was in line with industry standards.
“We consider this to be a blatant injustice also for millions of fans, which we trust will soon be remedied in the next court,” lawyers for the club said in a statement.
They said they would appeal to the country’s Sport Guarantee Board once the reasons for the ruling were published.
Missing out on Europe’s top club competition would be a financial blow to the club which last season was nearly €239 million in the red.