Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Premier Giorgia Meloni are in “maximum consonance” over United States President Donald Trump’s invitation for Italy to join his newly created Board of Peace, parliamentary sources said on Wednesday.
Contacts have taken place between the head of state and the prime minister, with institutional sources confirming that their views on the proposal are fully aligned. The government is expected to reach a decision on Italy’s participation in the coming hours.
However, doubts have already emerged within the ruling majority. Several government MPs have questioned whether Italy should take part in the US-led body, which Trump has compared to a United Nations-style organisation. The White House claims that 35 out of the 50 world leaders invited have agreed to join the initiative, originally designed to oversee reconstruction in Gaza.
Italy’s main opposition parties have urged the government to reject the invitation. Leaders of the Democratic Party (PD), the Five Star Movement (M5S) and the Green-Left Alliance (AVS) described the project as a “UN by payment” and warned against joining a body dominated by Washington.
Constitutional concerns over participation
Foreign Minister and Deputy Premier Antonio Tajani said earlier on Wednesday that the government was examining the proposal from a legal perspective before Meloni takes a final decision.
Constitutional concerns have also been raised. Riccardo Molinari, the League’s group leader in the Lower House, said Italy may not be able to join under the terms outlined so far.
“Our Constitution only allows membership of international organisations when there are equal rights and status for all members,” Molinari said. “This board, as it has been announced, would have recognised American leadership, with other states playing a secondary role. That would prevent Italy from joining.”
Molinari added that any decision would require parliamentary debate. “At the very least, this would have to be discussed in Parliament. It is not something Giorgia Meloni can decide in five minutes at Davos,” he said.
Vatican also invited to participate on ‘Board of Peace’
The Vatican has also received an invitation. Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin confirmed that the Holy See is considering whether to participate.
“Trump is asking various countries to take part, and Italy is reflecting on whether to join,” Parolin said. “We have received the invitation too. The Pope is assessing what to do. We are examining it.”
Despite US claims of broad support, only around a dozen countries, including Egypt, Turkey and Israel, have so far confirmed their intention to join the Board of Peace.




