Image shows Global Sumud flotilla activists being forced to kneel whilst restrained.

Rome prosecutors consider charges over Flotilla activists treatment

News

Italian investigators are examining allegations of beatings, sexual violence, and abduction following Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters. Around 50 activists have been hospitalised in Turkey.

Rome prosecutors are considering charges of torture and sexual violence against Israeli officials following the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla earlier this week, judicial sources said on Friday. The investigation, which also encompasses abduction, is focused on the treatment of activists — including Italian nationals — after their vessels were seized in international waters while attempting to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Italian participants who have since returned to Italy have reported beatings and degrading treatment during their detention. Around 50 of the activists, including one Italian, have been admitted to hospital in Turkey because of injuries sustained in Israel.

The Ben Gvir videos

At the centre of the investigation is a video posted by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir that triggered immediate international outrage. Dozens of activists can be seen in the footage forced to kneel on the ground, hands tied, at Ashdod port, where they were being processed ahead of likely deportation. Ben Gvir is seen waving a large Israeli flag and shouting in Hebrew, “Welcome to Israel! We are in charge here!” before the camera pans through the rows of kneeling detainees as Israel’s national anthem plays over a loudspeaker. Ben Gvir is also heard urging guards “not to be bothered by their screams,” as a woman can be heard crying out in the background.

Rome prosecutors have obtained the videos as evidence. The Italian government separately summoned the Israeli ambassador to Rome over the footage.

Italian MP: “beaten savagely”

Among those detained was 5-Star Movement MP Dario Carotenuto, who has already given a statement to investigators. After returning to Italy on Thursday, Carotenuto said he and fellow activists had been beaten “savagely” by Israeli officials. Prosecutors have begun interviewing other Italian participants in the flotilla as part of their inquiry.

The investigation extends beyond this week’s incident. Rome prosecutors are also examining alleged crimes committed by Israeli officials during two previous interceptions of the Flotilla — one last month and one in the autumn of 2025. In October 2025, Israeli forces intercepted around 40 boats from the Global Sumud Flotilla, arresting more than 450 participants, including the grandson of Nelson Mandela, Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, and European Parliament member Rima Hassan.

Italy calls for EU sanctions

Italy’s response has escalated rapidly at the diplomatic level. Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani formally wrote to EU High Representative Kaja Kallas on Thursday, requesting that the adoption of sanctions against Ben Gvir be placed on the agenda of the next EU Foreign Ministers’ meeting. Tajani stated on X that the sanctions request was made on behalf of the Italian government, citing the “unacceptable acts” of “abducting activists in international waters and subjecting them to harassment and humiliation, violating the most basic human rights.”

M5S leader and former premier Giuseppe Conte accused Ben Gvir of “humiliating and tormenting” the activists, calling on the Italian government and the EU to “tear up every agreement with Netanyahu’s criminal government.” UCEI, the umbrella organisation of Italy’s Jewish community, described Ben Gvir’s behaviour as “unacceptable and serious.”

Leave a Reply