The Italian government has offered to rebuild the Mariupol theatre destroyed in a bomb attack earlier this week. Culture minister Dario Franceschini made the announcement via Twitter on Thursday.
Franceschini said the Italian cabinet of ministers had approved his proposal to “offer Ukraine the resources and means” to rebuild the theatre as soon as possible.
In response, the Ukranian president Volodymyr Zelensky thanked the culture minister, saying, “You set a good example to follow. Together we will rebuild the country to the last brick.”
The neoclassical theatre, whose official name is the Donetsk Region Academic Theatre of Drama, was inaugurated in 1960, replacing a previous 19th-century building.
Survivors pulled from Mariupol theatre basement
The Ukrainian government says Russia was responsible for bombing the Mariupol theatre in the besieged coastal city. However, Moscow denies any involvement.
There were up to 1,000 people taking shelter from bombardments in the theatre’s basement when the building was hit. Over 100 survivors were pulled out from the rubble; hundreds more are still believed to be trapped alive.